Bordered on two sides by Central and Broadway that were part of the original streetcar system, Old North Knoxville started to develop in the third quarter of the 19th century. Old North was part of the town of North Knoxville, which was incorporated in 1889, until 1897 when North Knoxville was annexed by the city of Knoxville.
The neighborhood, as well as nearby Old Gray Cemetery, is on the National Register of Historic Places. Because it was a pre-automobile neighborhood in its inception, it is very walkable with sidewalks throughout. There are few garages and driveways, so street parking is common. Old North is adjacent to Happy Holler with shops, restaurants, and Three Rivers Market, as well as in very close proximity to Downtown and the University of Tennessee.
- Established: 1880
- # of houses: 500
- To downtown (bike): 14 min
- To downtown (car): 7 min